Flash's findings

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Damn the Batteries!

So my ship pulled into the shipyards last week for scheduled maintenance and repairs. Yesterday, Monday, we pulled into the dry dock. Which is just a platform that is hauled out into the middle of the river, sunk, the ship is put inside of it on blocks and is lifted again so that the ship is out of the water. Then the whole thing is pulled back next to land. Anyway, I had duty yesterday and it just so happened that I had my sister's videocam with me. I wanted to film the whole evolution, or at least the parts where things were happening. (This is a long evolution. It started at 0600 in the morning and we got finished at 1800[that's 6am -6pm for you non-military types] in the evening. And that was doing it extremely fast.) Anyway, I couldn't film it because I had to man-up the missile launcher because most of it is below the waterline. (That's where the water comes up to outside the skin of the ship.) They wanted to make sure that the hull wasn't ruptured. So I thought to myself, no biggie, I can't still do something with the cam. Cause that's all I really wanted to do in the first place is play with it a little, because that's super-duper fun. So I figure I'll make like a "Blair Witch" style film or something. DON'T SAY IT SAM! I was gonna call it, "D-Day: Duty on The Ross". So I grab the cam and turn it on, now mind you that it was charging all Saturday and half of Sunday, and would you know it the battery icon was flashing. Damn the batteries and damn the luck. Oh well, I've got duty again Thursday and nothing better to do. Take two anybody?

4 Comments:

At Wed Mar 23, 05:37:00 AM 2005, Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Scott,

It amazes me that you can get away with filming something like that. Doesn't the navy care? Oh well, have fun if you can!

 
At Wed Mar 23, 02:37:00 PM 2005, Blogger Scotty said...

Sleeping Mommy,

No they don't. The Commanding Officer(Captain) even authorized the crew to photograph the screws, or props(propellers) which supposedly are a top secret design. Or secret or confidential. I just know that normal civilian are theoretically not allowed to see them. No, the Navy doesn't care.

 
At Fri Apr 01, 05:20:00 PM 2005, Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Hey, I have no clue what your email is and I'm way to lazy to go to randommonkeycheese to look it up so I'm sending you a huge YOU ROCK here on your blog.

Thanks again for sponsoring me in the MS walk next week. I really appreciate it.

 
At Fri Apr 01, 05:34:00 PM 2005, Blogger Scotty said...

You're very welcome Ammie. Anything that I could do to help and support your efforts. Oh yeah, its Mistergunnerguy@yahoo.com, Mrs. Lazybutt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home